Glad to read this news.
SAG-AFTRA has rolled out a new tiered video game agreement that provides game developers access to union talent on their projects. The Tiered-Budget Independent Interactive Media Agreement covers games with production budgets between $250,000 and $15 million.
“This committee and I were proud to introduce the original Low Budget Agreement in 2016 to cover the indie games space because it is so full of energizing experimentation and wonderfully heart-forward storytelling. Working with these teams can be deeply rewarding and I’m thrilled with the updated and expanded tiered structure in the new agreement, which will capture more of this work. I’m excited for my fellow performers, and excited that developers will have access to my amazing union peers,” said Interactive Media Negotiating Committee Chair Sarah Elmaleh.
“Independent studios and small-to-mid-sized projects are a driving force propelling innovation and creativity in the video game industry. This new contract provides them an opportunity to work with some of the world’s top performers,” said SAG-AFTRA National Executive Director Duncan Crabtree-Ireland. “Many SAG-AFTRA members also have a built-in fan base that passionately follows their work and expands a game’s potential audience.”
Key features of the contract:
- Offers customized session rates for three different production budget tiers:
- $250,000 to $1 million.
- $1 million to $5 million.
- $5 million to $15 million.
- Simplifies and streamlines the base language of the full Interactive Media Agreement.
- Captures runaway project success with secondary payments, which can be prepaid at a reduced rate.
- Requires informed consent and compensation for the use of digital replicas of a performer.
SAG-AFTRA remains in negotiations with most of the industry’s largest video game companies over its Interactive Media Agreement. The new tiered agreement incorporates many of the sought-after provisions essential for the safety and sustainability of actors’ careers.